Today at church, the pastor spoke about the prophet Elijah. During his sermon, he referenced the Rolling Stones and their song, “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.” That’s the truth isn’t? “You can’t always get what you want . . . but if you try sometimes, well, you might find [God gives you] what you need.”
This has lead me to mull over wants, needs, and goals. As Christians, we can’t sit around just waiting to take action. We have to set goals, BUT we have to hold the steering wheel loosley so the Captain can change course when necessary. Proverbs 16:9 reads “In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.” We need God. We need God to help provide for our needs. We need God to show us that what we want isn’t always what we need.
What are some things that I want?
- I want to be a published author. I want to share my poetry, my YA fantasy novel, my historical fiction novel, and everything else I write with the world. But I don’t need this. It is a desire of mine. All I can do is put forth the work and be still and wait.
- I want to go to church regularly. This is really a need. My soul needs to worship God, and my soul needs fellowship with other Christians.
How can I turn my wants into goals?
- By Decemeber 2020, I will have my poetry collection published.
- In the next 2 years, I will have my YA fantasy novel published.
- In the next 6 months, I will have finished writing my historical fiction novel. Within the next 3 years, I will have the novel published.
- I will go to church at least every 3/4 Sundays of the month.
Goals are based on wants, desires. A lot of my goals include factors outside of my control, especially with getting published. It all comes down to the Lord’s plan. I have to let go and be okay with that. “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails” – Proverbs 19:21.